Published in UpStream Newsletter, Vol. 2015, Issue
6, October 2015
View on the Web at http://www.stroudcenter.org/newsletters/2015/issue6
Got 30 seconds? Subscribe to UpStream Newsletter and get our news in your inbox!
“Holy cow, how do people get up to that place? I might need a helicopter to lower me down on a cable.” Bern Sweeney’s remark opened a meeting to discuss logistics of an upcoming trip to Bhutan, in partnership with Waterkeeper Alliance.
“I’m excited about this opportunity to meet some of the brightest minds in ecosystem science, learn about cutting-edge research, and contribute my expertise to help inform and shape cross-cutting NSF programs,” said Louis Kaplan, Ph.D.
We rolled out the red carpet this month for water systems experts from 23 different countries who gathered at our campus to learn how to protect their home countries’ water resources.
Working in aquatic science is a dream come true for Matt Wilson. Growing up, he thought he wanted to study primates. But his path took a fateful turn after a high school aquatic ecology class.
Join us for two more inspiring fall events:
- On November 4, nationally acclaimed artist Greg Mort will present “The Art of Stewardship” talk about how he and other artists connect with nature.
- On November 19, join us as we award the Stroud Award for Freshwater Excellence to Alexandra Cousteau at our annual gala, The Water’s Edge.
Stroud Center kicked off the busy fall events season with a Moonlit Stream Stroll in September; we followed that with toasting to freshwater research, education and restoration during Stroud Uncorked and then finished our October events with a screening of a powerful documentary film.
Stroud Center media mentions
- Creating watershed ambassadors, The Exchange, Millersville University
- Nature Abounds working with Carnegie Mellon University on citizen science grant, Gant Daily, Clearfield County, Pa.
- A fundraising party for young adults at the Stroud Center, Unionville in the News
- Agencies seek ways to speed Chesapeake effort, Lancaster Farming
- Healthier water: a critical collateral benefit of Drug Take-Back Day, The Newtown (Ct.) Bee
- P&G keeping an eye on Susquehanna health, Wyoming County Press Examiner, Tunkhannock, Pa.